Shocking Violence II: Violent Disaster, War, and Terrorism Affecting Our Youth provides current academic and practical knowledge from the viewpoints of a variety of expert academicians and professionals to address the most pressing and relevant issues of our recent times. The contributors offer an understanding of the psycho-socio-political factors that impact youth when exposed to violent disaster, war, and terrorism and that explain the phenomena of terrorism and violence. As an invaluable guide, it samples information from the areas of psychology, education, parenting, law enforcement, forensics, and religion incorporating both theory, data, and concrete recommendations, and providing advice to helping professionals, educators, parents, and all those who interface with youth. Key intervention strategies are presented that can be implemented in the field. Readers will find its multidisciplinary focus helpful in gaining a broad perspective on this very complex topic.
Foreword by Rush Holt, U.S. Representative, Member of Congress
SECTION I: OVERVIEW
1. Violent Disaster, War, and Terrorism Affecting Our Youth: An Introduction--Rosemarie Scolaro Moser, Ph.D., ABPN
2. Making Sense of Terrorism After 9/11--Clark R. McCauley, Ph.D.
SECTION II: ADDRESSING THE NEEDS OF YOUTH
3. Reassuring Children-The Role of Parents in Helping Children Overcome Adversity--Teena Cahill, Psy.D.
4. Building Communities Through Consultation During Crisis: Psychological Reflections Post September 11, 2001--Corinne E. Frantz, Ph.D. & Janet Q. Nelson, Ph.D.
5. Emotional Aftershock: The Effects of War and Trauma on Children--Meliné Karakashian, Ph.D.
6. An Introduction to Critical Incident Stress Management with Youth--Risetta Jacobs, Ph.D.
7. Preparing the Boarding School for Disaster--Robin Karpf, M.D.
SECTION III: LEGAL CONCERNS
8. Legal Implications for Schools During Times of Crisis--Nathanya G. Simon, Esq., Marc H. Zitomer, Esq., Cynthia S. Ham, Esq.
9. Legal and Ethical Issues Pertaining to Treatment Emergencies in Response to a Terrorist Attack--Christopher R. Barbrack, Ph.D., Esq.
SECTION IV: FORENSIC ISSUES
10. Learning to Kill: Contract, Serial, and Terroristic Homicide--Louis B. Schlesinger, Ph.D. & Laurence Miller, Ph.D.
11. Law Enforcement Responses to Violence Against Youth-Psychological Dynamics and Intervention Strategies--Laurence Miller, Ph.D.
SECTION V: SPIRITUAL UNDERSTANDING
12. The Enigma of Evil--Reverend Dr. Lee van Rensburg
13. The Voice Within: A Spiritual Response to Terrorism--Reverend Gregory E. S. Malovetz, M.A.