- How do I buy an eBook from the Charles C Thomas website?
- How do I buy a Charles C Thomas eBook from another vendor?
- How do I download my eBook?
- What if I accidentally lose the page that contains the link to my eBook, before downloading?
- I downloaded my eBook but I can't find it now.
- What is Adobe Digital Editions?
- I'm having trouble with Adobe Digital Editions.
- What eBook formats does Charles C Thomas use?
- I have a Kindle or Kindle Touch or Kindle Fire. Can I read eBooks purchased directly from Charles C Thomason this device?
- I have an iPad or iPhone. Can I read eBooks purchased directly from Charles C Thomas on this device?
- How do I know if I can read Charles C Thomas eBooks downloaded from the Charles C Thomas website on my device?
- Can I read eBooks on my Mac?
- To read an eBook on multiple devices (such as my laptop and my smartphone), do I need to purchase multiple copies?
- Are all Charles C Thomas titles available as eBooks?
- Can I print out my eBook? To how many readers/computers can I download my eBook?
- As a professor, can I download an eBook for possible course adoption?
- Can I order eBooks by phone or mail?
- Can I pay for an eBook with a check?
- Can I purchase an eBook as a gift?
- How long does it take to download an eBook?
- I'm having trouble with my e-reader device.
- What is the return policy for eBooks?
- I'm still having problems and would like to contact somebody.
1. How do I buy an eBook from the Charles C Thomas website?
You can order Charles C Thomas eBooks right here on our website. Just add the eBook of your choice to your shopping cart and proceed with the ordering process. When your order is complete, you will be prompted to download your eBook. Please note that you must have Adobe Digital Editions installed before downloading your eBook. (Please also note: Adobe Digital Editions is a different product from the more common Adobe Reader.) For more information, about Adobe reader visit http://www.adobe.com/products/digital-editions.html.
All eBooks purchased directly from CC Thomas may also be read online using any Internet connected device and a browser for seven (7) days from purchase. No additional software is required for online reading. Clicking on the "Read Online" in the purchase confirmation email will take you directly to your book. This online access will expire after seven (7) days and after that you will only be able to view your Ebook using Adobe Digital Editions as detailed above.
Charles C Thomas eBooks cannot be pre-ordered. If the product page does not display the option to purchase an eBook version, it is not available as an eBook at this time. Our new titles are released as an eBook within 6-8 weeks of publication of the print title.
2. How do I buy a Charles C Thomas eBook from another vendor?
In addition to being able to purchase Charles C Thomas eBooks right here on our website, you can also purchase Charles C Thomas eBooks from many online booksellers, including ebooks.com, Google Books, and Ebsco Host. Charles C Thomas eBooks are not currently available in Apple's iBookstore. We are adding new resellers all the time.
3. How do I download my eBook?
Please follow our step-by-step guide.
4. What if I accidentally lose the page that contains the link to my eBook, before downloading?
Your confirmation e-mail includes a link to your eBook download. If you cannot find your confirmation e-mail, please check your spam folder. Also, you can log into your customer account here and retrieve the link to the download. You may also contact email@example.com to request a reset of your available downloads.
5. I downloaded my eBook but I can't find it now.
Your eBook should automatically open in Adobe Digital Editions (ADE). Once you have closed ADE, the eBook can be found in the future by simply opening ADE and checking the Library section.
You can also locate the file in the default download directory on your computer. The default location in Windows is the 'Digital Editions' folder in 'My Documents.' In Mac OS, the default location is the 'Digital Editions' folder in 'Documents.'
6. What is Adobe Digital Editions?
Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) is a free software program used to view and manage eBooks. You will need to download ADE in order to purchase and download eBooks from Charles C Thomas and transfer eBooks from your computer to other devices. You can use ADE to manage eBooks from other sources in addition to Charles C Thomas, and to organize all of your eBooks into a custom library.
Before installing ADE, please check that your system meets the ADE system requirements.
7. I'm having trouble with Adobe Digital Editions.
If you see a "resume pending tasks" or "error getting license" message while using ADE, simply click "ok" and you will be able view your eBook. If your problem concerns downloading or opening Adobe Digital Editions, please contact ADE support.
8. What eBook formats does Charles C Thomas use?
Our eBooks are offered in bookmarked PDF format.
Also, we offer 7-day access to the eBook with the eb20 Online Reader. This is not a download of the eBook. It allows you to see your purchased eBook online for 7-days in addition to the permanent Adobe Editions download.
9. I have a Kindle or Kindle Touch or Kindle Fire. Can I read eBooks purchased directly from Charles C Thomas on this device?
No. Kindles use proprietary software, and will only display eBooks purchased directly from Amazon. We currently have not made our titles available to the Kindle format.
10. I have an iPad or iPhone. Can I read eBooks purchased directly from Charles C Thomas on this device?
Yes, iPad and iPhone users can order directly from the Charles C Thomas site. After downloading Adobe Digital Editions on your computer and purchasing your eBook, you'll need to download the free Bluefire e-Reader application to your device.
11. How do I know if I can read Charles C Thomas eBooks downloaded from the Charles C Thomas website on my device?
Charles C Thomas eBooks can be read on any device that supports the eBook PDF format that is supported by ADE. You can purchase and download your eBook directly to the device if it includes a web browser and ADE. Or, you may transfer the eBook to a supported device from a computer with ADE installed.
EBook PDFs ordered on the Charles C Thomas site are compatible with most e-readers.
- iPad and iPhone phone users can order directly from the Charles C Thomas site. After downloading Adobe Digital Editions on your computer and purchasing your eBook, you'll need to download the free Bluefire e-Reader application to your device. For instructions, please see our Bluefire step-by-step guide. At the current time, Charles C Thomas books are not available at Apple’s iBookstore.
- Android users, please check to see if the e-reader on your device is supported by ADE.
- Sony users can either download ADE and use it to manage your eBooks, or you can use the software that came with your Sony reader. If you use your Sony software and don't download ADE, when you click on your download link at the end of the ordering process, your eBook should automatically open in your Sony software. If it doesn't, or if you have both Sony and ADE and your eBook doesn't open in the one you'd like to use, please contact our technical support. Please let us know which browser you are using and whether you have a Mac or PC.
- Nook users can order directly from the Charles C Thomas site, using ADE to manage and transfer your eBook..
- Kobo users can order directly from the Charles C Thomas site, using ADE to manage and transfer your eBook.
12. Can I read eBooks on my Mac?
Yes, Adobe Digital Editions is available for the Mac. Currently, ADE only works on Mac OS 10.5 or lower.
13. To read an eBook on multiple devices (such as my laptop and my smartphone), do I need to purchase multiple copies?
No. It is only necessary to purchase one copy of an eBook at a time, as each eBook that you purchase can be used on up to 6 devices. ADE includes instructions for authorizing each of your devices and transferring your eBooks onto them.
14. Are all Charles C Thomas titles available as eBooks?
Almost all new Charles C Thomas titles are released in both print and eBook formats. We also offer an expanding list of backlist titles as eBooks. See our eBooks page to find a particular eBook title. If there is a Charles C Thomas book you would like to see as an eBook that isn’t currently in that format, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know.
15. Can I print out my eBook? To how many readers/computers can I download my eBook?
Charles C Thomas eBooks come with certain restrictions (also known as DRM or Digital Rights Management) for the protection of copyrights. When you purchase and download an eBook directly from Charles C Thomas, you have the right to:
- May only use the provided link to download the file up to 3 times onto different computers/devices. This link is accessible in the My Account section of this website or from the original email.
- Once downloaded you can have the ebook file on 6 registered devices with and Adobe ID
- May not lend, sell or give the eBook to another user.
- May not copy the eBook file.
- Printing is limited to 10 pages of the book every 30 days.
- Copying is limited to 10 pages of the book every 30 days.
Charles C Thomas eBooks cannot be copied or "lent" due to copyright restrictions.
16. As a professor, can I download an eBook for possible course adoption?
Professors, please see our examination copy page for information about online review copy access for our titles.
17. Can I order eBooks by phone or mail?
No, currently, Charles C Thomas eBooks can only be ordered online.
18. Can I pay for an eBook with a check?
No, eBooks can only be purchased with a credit or debit card at this time.
19. Can I purchase an eBook as a gift?
No, at this time, eBooks cannot be sent as gifts.
20. How long does it take to download an eBook?
The download time depends on the size of the eBook you order and the speed of your internet connection. Download times generally vary between 2 seconds and 10 minutes.
21. I'm having trouble with my e-reader device.
Please contact the maker of your device.
22. What is the return policy for eBooks?
We are unable to accept returns or offer refunds on completed, downloaded eBook purchases. Before completing your eBook transaction, please take care to ensure you have purchased the correct format and title and that your e-reader is compatible (remember, Kindles are not able to read our eBooks). We encourage you to activate ADE and test your software and system configurations by downloading a free sample eBook before making your first purchase. If you have concerns about your purchase, please contact email@example.com.
23. I'm still having problems and would like to contact somebody.
If the above FAQ and our step-by-step guide do not answer your questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Please provide as much detail as possible in your message, such as:
- Steps to reproduce the problem (in as much detail as possible).
- Exact text of any error message (screen shots are helpful).
- URL(s) of any error page(s) you encounter.
- Date of sale.
- The email address that you used to create your account.
- Title(s) of problem download(s).
- Applicable software version (for example: Adobe Digital Editions, version 1.7.2).
- If applicable, your device type and operating system.